Pride Marching Band is a “state of the art” competitive marching band. It explores the latest trends in competitive marching band. The “Pride” is an extra-curricular offering for band students at Broken Arrow Senior High, North Intermediate and South Intermediate High Schools.
“Pride” marching band provides an outlet for students interested in the realm of ‘state of the art’ design, performance, social, and competitive opportunities.
Membership is voluntary into this extra-curricular ensemble; however, an audition is required. Auditionees will be granted membership based on their performance ability – both musically and visually. Freshman and Sophomore students that are denied membership with the ‘Pride’ will perform in the ‘Tradition’ varsity football support band.
The “Pride” marching band performs at halftime of all home varsity football games as well as at pre-game of all away varsity football games (travel schedule permitting). The “Pride” also performs at all competitive contests and festivals; approx. 5 contests per season. The format of most contests are a prelim / finals contest. The ‘Pride’ also performs various community support appearances based on need and accessibility. The “Pride” will also perform with the ‘Tradition’ for Pre-game, Stands, and Parades.
Since the ‘Pride’ is an extra-curricular activity, its rehearsal schedule falls almost entirely outside of the typical school day. Pride rehearsals are as follows, but not limited to:
- Audition Camp: 7 days meeting from 3:20pm to 5:20pm after school during the month of May.
- Summer Rehearsal: Approx. 12 hours of rehearsal during June and July.
- Band Camp: Begins approx. 2 weeks before the first day of school for 7 hours per rehearsal day.
- School Day Rehearsals: 3:20pm to 5:20pm rehearsal on most school days.
- Sectional Rehearsal: An additional rehearsal per week devoted to just the students of a particular section (i.e. Percussion, Guard, Hornline, etc.).
- Extra Rehearsals: Typically 3 Saturday rehearsals in the months of September and October. Occasionally an evening rehearsal is substituted for an after school rehearsal.
- Rehearsal and performance dates and times will be provided to each student that gains membership into the ‘Pride’ as well as posted on the internet.
Pride members receive an Activity Grade on their report of progress and their permanent transcript. Grades fall under the guidelines of the Broken Arrow School Board Policy for Performing Ensembles.
Each Pride member’s costs and fees are based on but not limited to the following:
- Uniform Accessories: Each Hornline and Percussion student purchases their uniform shoes, uniform T-shirt, Casual uniform polo shirt, gloves and ball cap. These items are ordered as a group to achieve the lowest possible discount pricing to each student.
- Trip Food: The members are fed before every ballgame performance and at least twice at all contests.
- Out-of-State contests: Each member pays or fundraises their share of the overall cost for the ‘Pride’ to travel to an out-of-state event. This cost includes transportation, lodging, meals, entertainment, etc. for the entire trip.
- Technical Fee: Each student will pay a fee that in turn will help offset the cost of adjunct and technical staff.
- Color Guard Fees: Because of the continual evolution of the Color Guard program it is difficult to foresee exact costs to guard members. However, typical costs include: Summer Instruction Fee, Practice Uniform, Performance Shoes, and Specialized Equipment.